Pours a rich, vibrant shade of ruby; limpid and pure.
Smoky oak and wildflower top notes give way to a core of juicy red and black cherries, thyme, leather and plums. Meaty, herbal complexity calls to mind a deglazed skillet of lamb rack and rosemary, bouncing beautifully off the abundance of primary cherry fruit.
Decant in its youth to allow the wine to express its full perfume, or cellar 5 to 8 years for optimal integration. Enjoy with good friends and good stemware, accompanied by duck, pork, beef or lamb.
Tightly wound and linear in its youth, the palate grows with air time, showing an attractive sappy, dried herb complexity laid out on a bed of finely grained, fairly firm tannins. The serious structure is offset by a delicate thread of black and red cherry; medium bodied yet generous, silky, smoky and spicy in the mid-palate. For such an elegant wine, the length is impressive, carrying off the trick of so many fine pinot noirs — power and presence, without heaviness. This 2018 Palliser Estate Pinot Noir is a serious, food-friendly style of pinot noir, structured and complex, with lovely layers and depth.
52% of the grapes sourced from our organically farmed ‘Wharekauhau’ vineyard, the remaining 48% from ‘East Base’ and ‘Clouston’ vineyards. Average vine age 18 years. Fermented with indigenous yeasts to 13.5% alcohol, with 5% whole clusters, the wine aged 10 months in 30% new French oak
Picking Date: April 2018
Bottled: March 2019